Agrinet is a wholesale distributor of Hardware, DIY, Irrigation, Outdoor, Electrical product ranges as well as light industrial and agricultural requisites to retailers and OEM’s across Africa.
Agrinet enjoys rich and diverse sourcing, manufacturing and distribution history spanning from humble beginnings in 1950 as Vetsak.
• The long-standing principles and disciplines of being knowledgeable, sourcing/developing, innovation and being solutions-driven has allowed Agrinet to evolve successfully, and grow from strength to strength over the last 6 decades.
• Today, Agrinet continues to build from a solid value and knowledge base but is also constantly adapting to key trends and the ever-changing needs of our clients and end-users in order to deliver solutions that matter every day.
• Agrinet originated from VETSAK, a central buying co-operative for agri-businesses, established in 1950. Vetsak was established by the primary co-operatives in the old Transvaal and Free State as a central buying or secondary co-operative. The different primary co-operatives were established by farmers. All primary co-operatives were members of Vetsak.
• The main purpose of Vetsak was to source product, to manufacture and to distribute to members of shareholder stores, who in turn supplied the farmers.
• Apart from distribution of tools, irrigation and farm requisites, Vetsak was responsible for establishing the Fiat tractor brand in South Africa, later known as New Holland Tractors.
• Vetsak has been involved in several manufacturing enterprises, amongst others micro-irrigation, assembling of tractors and trucks, tobacco curing, pipe, tanks, fencing material, farm chemicals, and ground engagement parts.
• During the early nineties, the focus of the business moved away from manufacturing and all such activities were disposed of or closed. Emphasis was on trade, specifically mechanization, general merchandise, and irrigation. The products were sourced locally and abroad.
• In 1996 the business of the central buying co-operative in the Western Cape, called Boeresake, was acquired. Most of the primary co-operatives in the Western Cape became members of Vetsak.
• In 1998 the name of Vetsak was changed to Agrinet.
1964 - 1st Fiat tractor sold to Mr HJ Kleynhans of Ventersdorp. He was also the first farmer to buy an ADE-engine tractor in South Africa.
Karet Trailer locally manufactured.
Since the launch of the Karet trailer in '63, over 15 000 trailers have been sold up until '86.
VETSAK - produces 1st Fiat tractor locally, 100% South African.
Biggest consignment of tractors delivered at the Durban harbor by the South African ship Helderberg.
VETSAK Monteer was VETSAK's initiative to establish a South African tractor industry that led to Vetsak Monteer, a modern tractor and truck assembly plant.
VETSAK bought an experimental farm to research and develop farming products.
Due to a range of problems farmers experienced with the standard zink tanks, VETSAK designed and developed a polythen tank. The design stayed unchanged for 31 years.
Website and electronic catalogue
Agrinet became a company and could sell products to all retailers.
Electronic Scanning in the warehouse.
Call Centre Established.
Logistics - fully electronic, using scanners etc.
New warehouse added at Samrand
10 Specialist divisions serving co-op and hardware retail sector
Launch B2B and ecommerce